Tuesday 18 July 2023

Gundogan talks Xavi, Lewandowski, Guardiola, Pedri, Silva, Busquets at Barcelona presentation

Ilkay Gundogan is perhaps Barcelona’s most awaited signing of the summer. The treble-winning former Manchester City captain moved to Catalonia on a free transfer earlier this summer, and the club officially unveiled him as a Blaugrana today.

Gundogan will join Xavi Hernandez in pre-season training on Tuesday and will travel to the United States with the squad to take part in the friendlies.

Monday’s events began with a private signing of his contract as a player of FC Barcelona at the offices of Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper. The 32-year-old then spoke on the field and began with an account of his early associations with the club as a fan.

“Well, my first impressions are extremely positive. I am very excited and grateful to be part of this club. I remember when I was a kid watching Barça every game, on weekdays, on weekends. From Rijkaard, Pep of course.”

The veteran went on to highlight how many of his idols were players of the Catalan institution and the honour he felt donning the garnet-and-blue stripes.

“I had many players here as an idol, who are now legends. So I am very proud to be here in front of all of you in this magnificent club.”

Gundogan then formally thanked Joan Laporta, Mateu Alemany, and Jordi Cruyff for their relentless work to make the signing possible saying,

“I want to thank you President, the whole board, Mateu Alemany, Jordi Cruyff who was a part of me being here. It’s amazing to be here, and as I said, it’s a pleasure and a pride to be here and I can’t wait for the first game. I want to win, I want to keep winning here.”

He wound up his on-field comments with a brief mention of the quality of Barcelona’s squad and the rise of a special team in the years to come.

“I think there is great potential in this team, last season was very good and I will do everything possible and all the best to be able to help the team. The next few years will surely be better and more special. Visca El Barça.”

In the press conference that followed, Gundogan showed more gratitude to the president and sporting director, and Xavi, amongst others, for making the move possible.

“Thanks to the president and all the staff for making this possible. Especially Xavi, when I talked to him I knew he was on the right track. It’s an opportunity to show who I am, new team, new country, new city and even though I’m an age, I still have a lot to show.”

The German also spoke about how his experience would blend well with the Catalans’ young core, saying: “In these years I have been able to gain a lot of experience and with this very young team combined with experience, we can do great things.”

In his farewell letter to Manchester City, the midfielder revealed that Barcelona was the only club he would leave for. He highlighted his clarity of thought over the same, saying:

“Being able to be a player of this club makes me feel very proud. Wearing this shirt was a dream, on a couple of occasions I was able to get closer but it wasn’t the time. Luckily the time was today and I am very proud to be able to be a Barça player.”

On Robert Lewandowski, with whom he has already shared the dressing room for years, he said:

“I talked to him before the holidays. He told me about the club, the lifestyle, the city, and what it feels likes to be part of Barça. His words were very powerful. Ter Stegen also wrote to me. Their words did not influence me much but they helped, because I already had made the decision.”

Quizzed about the process of adaptation he would have to undergo at his new club, the UCL-winning captain expressed his confidence in coming out on the right side.

“I think I have the ability to adapt. The team has already won La Liga, we want to have more potential in the Champions League and I think we can have the confidence to do it. It’s a very big responsibility to be a Barça player, but I’m sure we will do it.”

Leaving the UCL-winning Manchester City was not an easy decision for the midfielder. He spoke about how "Xavi influenced his decision to leave and convinced him of the Blaugrana project.

“First of all, he made his ideas very clear. It looks a lot like what I’ve done with Manchester City. His directness, his character, made me reflect on him, also how he played. From the first moment, we had a very good connection.”

Commenting about Pep Guardiola’s reaction to his decision to join Barcelona, he said: “For me, it was important that he was the first to know. I expressed my gratitude to him, in a way I consider that he was happy and that when I needed anything about the club and about the city I would ask him for advice.”

The next question thrown at him was about the possibility of Kylian Mbappe joining Real Madrid and whether it would spice up the clash between the two giants. Gundogan modestly answered saying,

“It doesn’t matter who plays in Madrid, we want to beat Madrid with or without Mbappe, we have to win by looking at us not at the rivals.”

Bernardo Silva has been strongly linked with a move to Barcelona in recent days, and Gundogan was unsurprisingly quizzed about the same.

“He is an incredible player, I think he has many qualities to be a high-level player but he has a contract with City, so I can say little,” he said about his former teammate.

The German joins a team with some of the world’s best young talents. He acknowledged the same in his presser and spoke on what he would add to the squad.

“They are incredible, Gavi, Pedri, de Jong. I have experience, my life and my career have not been a bed of roses. I think my experience in recent years can help, both offensively and defensively. They are very talented young people who do better things than me. If I can give you 1%, I’ll be happy.”

He then commented on his ability to cover multiple positions and the possibility of playing in place of Sergio Busquets.

“I am ready, in recent years I think I have shown that I am able to show that I can play in different roles and I think I will be able to help where they need me.”

The veteran was then posed with a tricky question as to what Barcelona were lacking in the UCL. With all his years of experience, he gave a fitting reply, saying,

“Well, the Champions League is a very difficult and very competitive trophy. It’s so difficult, I say it from experience, for many years we were favorites with the City. Small details can make a difference. From the experience of having won the Champions League, I believe and I know that I can contribute something to get it.”

When asked if Xavi had spoken to him about a specific position he would have to cover at Barcelona, the 32-year-old revealed,

Xavi values that I am a versatile player. He hasn’t told me about a specific position, but I think I can combine with the different players and in different positions.”

Gundogan then went on to talk about his idols from Barcelona over the years, including players from various generations on his list.

“I remember Ronaldinho, although he is very different from me. I also admire Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets. Of this type of players, I like Busquets, silent. I consider that I am a very similar player. I want the team to win games, even if sometimes you are in the background.”

Finally, he set it straight that his decision to leave Manchester City had nothing to do with Guardiola or the English team’s management but was a personal choice and a chance to challenge himself.

“It’s not so much that Pep lacked. I’ve known him well, for 7 years, but I like challenges and constantly surpassing myself. All that the coach and the club have done to convince me, is that my desire to sign for the club has grown a lot.”

Laporta, Alemany welcome Gundogan to Barcelona

President Joan Laporta welcomed Gundogan to the club and elaborated on the long-drawn saga of his transfer.

“Welcome to Barcelona, Ilkay. An experienced and successful player who will help us a lot. Everyone is excited for your arrival, the fans, the staff, and the members of the club. I know that you made a massive effort to sign, and we would like to thank you.

“Ilkay, I know that you chose Barça over other higher offers because of our history and style. Due to your time at Manchester City, you understand our style of play better than most players. Thank you for choosing us. I know we’ll be successful with your help.”

The president then went on to acknowledge the contribution of various forces to ensure the success of the German’s move, saying,

“He is a player who has spoken for Xavi and you were the first player who asked us. I want to congratulate Mateu Alemany and his entire team. It has been a signing that has been simmered. Jordi Cruyff and Deco have also had their merit. Also Rafa Yuste.”

He then went on to highlight the strength of the squad with Gundogan’s incorporations and his aspirations of seeing the team win the UEFA Champions League and other competitions.

“I also like the tune that you and Xavi have. We are all very excited, we are seeing how the team is getting stronger and stronger. Now we want more, we want to compete for the Champions League.”

“We have a very powerful midfield. We are very excited, you come with experience and you have all the culés very excited. Now we are going on tour and you will have the opportunity to put yourself in the dynamics of the first team.”

Mateu Alemany was the next presence to grace the stage as he revealed how the idea of signing Gundogan was on the cards for a long time.

“The first day we talked about Gündogan was Christensen’s signing day. That day we commented that Ilkay should be the next one. We want to thank you for your decision, for choosing us in spite of other much higher economic offer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe Us